Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is an evidence-based practice intervention used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on substances such as tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs. The SBIRT model was incited by an Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendation that called for community-based screening for health-risk behaviors. The purpose of this assignment is to integrate SBIRT into nursing practice to help stimulate positive change at the individual and population-focused level of care.
Need Help Writing an Essay?
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your paper.Write My Essay For Me
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO4, PO8)
- CO4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO1)
SBIRT consists of three major components.
1. Screening—A healthcare professional assesses a patient for concerning behaviors using standardized screening tools. Screening can occur in any healthcare setting.
2. Brief Intervention—A healthcare professional engages a patient in a short conversation, providing feedback and advice regarding concerning behaviors.
3. Referral to Treatment—A healthcare professional provides a referral to resources and/or treatment options and additional services available (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA], n.d.)
- Prior to starting the presentation, you are to read the assigned training.
SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Overview of screening, assessment and brief intervention: A nursing response to the full spectrum of substance abuse retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm. Here is the direct link: Intervention and Nursing Response article (Links to an external site.)
- Choose “Watch On-Demand Recording”
- Start at minute 9:08/slide 12 and end at 1 hr 27 sec (slide 80)
Or you may go directly to the YouTube video:
SBIRT Education. (2015, May 10). Overview of SBIRT: A nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvCQUmN8c. Here is the direct link: YouTube Video for Intervention and Nursing Response (Links to an external site.)
Use this BNI checklist for the role play at the end: BNI Checklist (Links to an external site.) SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Brief negotiated interview checklist [PDF Document]. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm
You are encouraged to review the assignment tutorial found at the end of the Academic Integrity Reminder.
- Next, choose one addiction or problem to focus on for this assignment from the options below.
- Nicotine (all tobacco and electronic nicotine delivery systems)
- Drug use (addictive prescription or illicit)
- You must be specific to which drug you are choosing
- You are required to use one of the problems listed above. Assignments that do not follow the current guidelines or use the required forms or templates will be evaluated for evidence of an academic integrity violation. After the due date, there will be no opportunity for revision or resubmission of assignments that have been uploaded to the submission area. It is your responsibility to submit the correct assignment to the correct submission area.
- After you have chosen the addiction/problem, you are to research SBIRT training specific to that addiction/problem. Before starting to work on the presentation, it is vital you understand how SBIRT is used with that particular addiction/problem. You must find at least two scholarly resources (other than readings assigned in the course) and one video resource. Search YouTube for one SBIRT training video from a reputable source that shows a provider using SBIRT with a patient. Watch this video so that you understand the steps of SBIRT.
- You may choose to complete this assignment as a PowerPoint poster or PowerPoint multiple slide presentation. Download the SBIRT PowerPoint poster (Links to an external site.) or slide presentation template (Links to an external site.).
- Submit the completed PowerPoint poster or slide presentation by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 6.
- Length: The poster should be one page with all boxes on template complete. The slide presentation should be no more than twelve slides, not including the title and references slides.
Below are the requirements needed for successful completion of the SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment presentation.
- Introduction to the problem and/or addiction: Clearly identify the problem, and discuss specific statistics from your community related to this problem. You may use city or county data. For example, if you choose tobacco use, you should find the tobacco use rate in your city or county. **Please note, this is only an example, you must choose from one of the topic options provided in the guidelines above.**
- Problem description: Utilize one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe this problem/addiction. Discuss reasons why this may be a problem in your community. Cite all sources.
- SBIRT description: Utilize at least one scholarly reference different from the one selected for the problem description above, and not assigned in this course, to describe how SBIRT is used with this specific addiction/problem. Identify specific steps and questions that are used.
- Video: Locate and describe at least one video that demonstrates SBIRT related to the addiction you chose.
- Citation: Cite all sources.
- Community resources: Describe at least two available community resources to which you may refer people who have this problem or an increased potential for acquiring this problem. You are to provide the names of these resources and brief descriptions. You may use online resources if community resources are not available.
- Conclusion/future implications for nursing: Provide a summary of your findings. Discuss the use of SBIRT in nursing practice.
- References: Provide all references for all sources utilized. Use APA format; however, a hanging indent is not necessary.
BEST PRACTICES IN PREPARING POWERPOINT
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- We recommend that you use one of the linked templates. Replace the placeholder text with your own content. Use a black or colored font that is easy to read.
- Be creative. You may choose a design (from Design tab) to enhance visual appeal.
- Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
- Use short bullet points and large font for easier reading. For PowerPoint slides, use no more than eight lines per slide and no more than eight words per line.
- Do not use the notes section in the PowerPoint format (they are not visible in Canvas-Speedgrader)
- Cite all sources within the slides or poster with (author, year) as well as on the Reference slide or section.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Spell check for spelling and grammatical errors prior to final submission.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (n.d.). SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment.
Before preparing your assignment, please review this “Crediting Sources Made Simple (Links to an external site.)“ resource. This tool is intended to help you understand scholarly writing, APA, referencing, and crediting. Please reach out to your instructor with any questions as you prepare your assignment.
**Academic Integrity Reminder**
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
WEEK 6 SBIRT ASSIGNMENT
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeIntroduction to problem
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeProblem support with scholarly literature and problem rationale.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSBIRT
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCommunity Resources
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeConclusion and Future Implications
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics and organization
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeLate Deduction
Total Points: 225.0
Hi, great job. I really do appreciate it. I did not see this slide.
Video: Locate and describe at least one video that demonstrates SBIRT related to the addiction you chose.
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free answers Guarantee
- We Guarantee Timely Delivery of All essays
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your exact Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- We offer Direct Contact With Your Writer
- 24/7 Customer Support